« on: 10-27-2005 23:26 »
For this episode...do these apply??
• Time: In the year 3000
1. have space crafts flying around in the city
2. humans and other species such as Cyclopes live together
3. there are robots that function the way humans do
4. Humans are frozen and unthawed in the time period
• Location: The New times of New York City. The old New York City is under the newly constructed one and is deserted.
1. shows a scene where the old New York is underground while the new city is improved, but same style.
• Fry: protagonist; round character. He gets a job, but then his old girlfriend comes back to life so he changes into a romantic character and begins to do what she says. After she leaves him, he changes back to his true self and realizes she wasn’t worth his time.
• Bender: he’s a robot and a flat character. He is Fry’s best friend and is there to make jokes as well as entertain.
• Lila: She’s a Cyclopes. Also a flat character because she goes with Fry to look for a job, gets a job as a delivery girl for pizza, and then isn’t seen again until the end.
• Michelle: antagonist; a round character because she comes back to life from 1999 to the future in 3000. She is scared and not used to the future lifestyle so she convinces Fry, her on-again, off-again boyfriend. Before, she was demanding and possessive, but now she wants Fry with her every moment. At the end of the story, she decides to leave Fry again for another man.
• Conflict: Fry, Bender, and Lila loose their old job by driving the spaceship into the Great Wall of China so now they have to find new jobs.
• Complications: Fry runs into his old girlfriend during his new job as unthawing humans so Michelle and him want to start over their relationship, but she’s not as adapted to the future as well as Fry is.
• Crisis: Fry and Michelle decided to start over again in the year 4000 so they travel to the future, but then their relationship gets tested with the new civilization they have to adapt to so they end up going their separate ways to find their way back.
• Climax: Lila and Bender come upon Fry and they tell him that he was only frozen for two days. He never was trapped in the year 4000 and the relationship between Fry and Michelle is permanently over.
• Conclusion: Lila and Bender pick Fry up in the spaceship and take him back home to where he belongs, in the year 3000. Fry also asks for his old job back, but doesn’t get it.
• To focus on your career more rather than women. Fry went through all the trouble of losing his job and then getting caught up in old feeling for Michelle. In the end, his relationship with Michelle sidetracked him from his job when he should have been focusing on that more.
Point Of View:
• 1st person Limited; each character has his/her dialogue. Fry says: “Oh right, I was suppose to assign you a job.”
The series of Futurama is based on how Fry, the main character, was treated in the year 1999. No one seemed to really care for him or even see him to be important. When he moves into the future to 3000, he has friends who care for him and he does things that make him important. When Michelle comes back, she begins to discuss the relationship they use to have and how she was the only one that missed him while no one else did. He begins to see how life was for him back then and decides to give their relationship another try. Through their time together, they begin to see their true selves and Michelle states that he is and always will be a loser. Fry begins to see how unimportant he was through Michelle so he ends the relationship and his friends come to his rescue, making him feel worthy being part of the future.