Futurama   Planet Express Employee Lounge
The Futurama Message Board

Design and Support by Can't get enough Futurama
Help Search Futurama chat Login Register

PEEL - The Futurama Message Board    General Futurama Forum Category    Human Resource Department    Fry/Leela getting together « previous next »
Author Topic: Fry/Leela getting together  (Read 16011 times)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Print
PEE Poll: Fry/Leela getting together
Fry and Leela never get together properly   -22 (25.9%)
They get together for one episode   -7 (8.2%)
They get together perminently   -56 (65.9%)
Total Members Voted: 85

RobinL

Crustacean
*
« on: 04-28-2002 16:49 »

Which would you prefer from the following:

Personally I would like then to get it together for one episode.  I'd like to see it happen perminently but  I think it'd ruin the show...

Rob
Teral

Helpy McHelphelp
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #1 on: 04-28-2002 16:59 »

Well I would prefer them to get together, one day. Maybe halfway through the last season (9 or 10 years from now) and then use the rest of the episodes of that season to elaborate on their relationship.

But none of that "Friends"-style crap. On-again, off-again relationships just don't work in this show, I think. I think it'll go against Leela's character as well. Put me down for a 3.

Incidently go to this thread for the ultimate shipper-fest.

That thread doesn't have a poll, so no need to close this thread, mods, just move it.  :D he said, and was promptly overruled.
Otis P Jivefunk

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #2 on: 04-29-2002 12:37 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Teral:
Well I would prefer them to get together, one day. Maybe halfway through the last season (9 or 10 years from now) and then use the rest of the episodes of that season to elaborate on their relationship.

That's exactly what I would like too! Maybe have an episode half way through their relationship where they temporerily split up, but get together agian at the end :)

Erdrik

Professor
*
« Reply #3 on: 04-29-2002 12:48 »

numba 3 for me.. As if you didn't know  :p
Nixorbo

UberMod
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #4 on: 04-29-2002 14:06 »

Technically, what I want would be the "one episode" option.  The VERY LAST episode.  I like the teasing and hinting loads more than Fry's (usually) pathetic and over-the-top desperate grabs at Leela.  I thought that the two aborted kisses in A Flight to Remember and X-Mas Story much more than Fry saying "I have to MAKE Leela love me" every five minutes.  And if they/when they do get together, I'd want it to be completely and totally unplanned on the part of Fry.  Not some sweeping, romantic, elaborate plot that Fry dreams up to "make" Leela love him, but rather a spur of the moment, impulsive gesture by Fry, along the lines of what happened in Love and Rocket with the oxygen tanks.
AstroZombie

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #5 on: 04-29-2002 14:09 »

Number  three for me too

 :D
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #6 on: 04-29-2002 14:44 »

i want them to get together. the sooner the better, and i agree with Nixorbo that a spur of the moment gesture such as the oxygen tank thing in L&R would be a much better way for them to get together rather than an elaborate plot by Fry. He can't win her love he has to earn it. The sooner he figures that out the better off he'll be.
BumbleBeeTheta

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #7 on: 04-29-2002 18:06 »

Do I really need to say which one I voted for?  Anyway, I'm to tired to rant.  I just did that in the other thread...  :love:   :love:
Erdrik

Professor
*
« Reply #8 on: 04-29-2002 21:28 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Venus:
i want them to get together. the sooner the better, and i agree with Nixorbo that a spur of the moment gesture such as the oxygen tank thing in L&R would be a much better way for them to get together rather than an elaborate plot by Fry. He can't win her love he has to earn it. The sooner he figures that out the better off he'll be.

ditto
wu_konguk

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #9 on: 04-30-2002 06:58 »

I think I have gone on about this enough in the other thread so I'll just say I voted for 3  :love:
FilthyCrab

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #10 on: 04-30-2002 08:17 »

I'd love to keep the dynamic of unrequited love going on right up to the end.  Once L&F get together, the whole show will change, and if other sitcoms are any indicators, the show will not change for the better.
Kryten

Space Pope
****
« Reply #11 on: 04-30-2002 12:28 »

I want them to get together in the epic big-budget motion picture trilogy!
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #12 on: 04-30-2002 14:13 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Kryten:
big-budget motion picture trilogy!

hurray!!!!...........as if Fox would ever even consider that one  :rolleyes:

Fox Exec: "Anger, tears, phenomenally low Network ratings,our work here is done"
TheVoices

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #13 on: 05-03-2002 02:15 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Nixorbo:
Technically, what I want would be the "one episode" option.  The VERY LAST episode.  I like the teasing and hinting loads more than Fry's (usually) pathetic and over-the-top desperate grabs at Leela.  I thought that the two aborted kisses in A Flight to Remember and X-Mas Story much more than Fry saying "I have to MAKE Leela love me" every five minutes.  And if they/when they do get together, I'd want it to be completely and totally unplanned on the part of Fry.  Not some sweeping, romantic, elaborate plot that Fry dreams up to "make" Leela love him, but rather a spur of the moment, impulsive gesture by Fry, along the lines of what happened in Love and Rocket with the oxygen tanks.

i've gotta agreee with Nix. an impluse thing in the last episode would be the best, rather than all this long winded crap
BrainSluggo

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #14 on: 05-03-2002 02:49 »
« Last Edit on: 05-03-2002 02:49 »

Sure, and I think that's the game plan. The "Fryquest" routine is a diversion. I hope, in the meantime, we will find out the "whys" of their problems, which I'm sure are deeper than Leela lets on when she discusses Fry with Zoidberg. Methinks:

Fry: Like the writers, has serious Mother issues. (See: Mom) His own mother obviously didn't give much of a damn about him until he was gone, and his "normal" girlfriend waited a thousand years to ditch him a second time. Along comes Leela--the strong woman who regularly takes care of him, physically and emotionally, yet is just as often pleasantly caught off-guard by his Twentieth-Century observations of life as she is disgusted by his childishness and irresponsibility. It's all very "Norman Bates," but it is said that men DO marry their mothers--or in this case, love women who would make better mothers (cross-reference: Cookieville) than they had. Close miss: one Morgan Proctor. In the Likes-Repel category: Amy.

Leela: A lifetime of constant rejection, and along comes a guy who isn't repelled by--OR abnormally attracted to--her eye. However, she's spent years keeping a wall up, and the few times she's let her guard down, her "knights in shining armor" have turned out to be Zapp and Alcazar. She's desperate enough to ask her married boss Ipji out, she obviously wants to let Fry "in" on his better days, but she's also seen her two closest male friends find love--and get tired of their women almost spontaneously. Why ask for another tasty round of rejection? Especially when you have to work with the guy on a daily basis?

Fry's already done something ultimately romantic--and it ended in divorce. The closest these two ever get is in moments of severe crisis. One day, nothing's going to interrupt. 
Erdrik

Professor
*
« Reply #15 on: 05-03-2002 06:49 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by BrainSluggo:
...snip...

Fry's already done something ultimately romantic--and it ended in divorce. The closest these two ever get is in moments of severe crisis. One day, nothing's going to interrupt. 
I completly agree with you said about Leela.
But I think the divorce can be blamed on the TimeSlip. She was suddenly being married for a reason she couldn't recall and panicked. I think if There hadn't been that particular timeslip she would have gone through with it.


Tweek

UberMod
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #16 on: 05-03-2002 09:02 »

I think they should get together and stay together  :)
Erdrik

Professor
*
« Reply #17 on: 05-03-2002 11:22 »

straight Damn! err  :hmpf: I mean Damn Straight!  :p lol
AstroZombie

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #18 on: 05-03-2002 13:03 »

<Bart> Testify!</Bart>

 :p
Erdrik

Professor
*
« Reply #19 on: 05-03-2002 13:28 »
« Last Edit on: 05-03-2002 13:28 »

A-men! Praise the Zombie Jesus!  :laff:   :laff:
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #20 on: 05-03-2002 13:43 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by BrainSluggo:
Leela: A lifetime of constant rejection, and along comes a guy who isn't repelled by--OR abnormally attracted to--her eye. However, she's spent years keeping a wall up, and the few times she's let her guard down, her "knights in shining armor" have turned out to be Zapp and Alcazar. She's desperate enough to ask her married boss Ipji out, she obviously wants to let Fry "in" on his better days, but she's also seen her two closest male friends find love--and get tired of their women almost spontaneously. Why ask for another tasty round of rejection? Especially when you have to work with the guy on a daily basis?


My hypothesis exactly! Only worded far better then i could ever accomplish.  :rolleyes:
Teral

Helpy McHelphelp
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #21 on: 05-04-2002 06:28 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by BrainSluggo:
Fry: Like the writers, has serious Mother issues. (See: Mom) His own mother obviously didn't give much of a damn about him until he was gone, and his "normal" girlfriend waited a thousand years to ditch him a second time. Along comes Leela--the strong woman who regularly takes care of him, physically and emotionally, yet is just as often pleasantly caught off-guard by his Twentieth-Century observations of life as she is disgusted by his childishness and irresponsibility. It's all very "Norman Bates," but it is said that men DO marry their mothers--or in this case, love women who would make better mothers (cross-reference: Cookieville) than they had. Close miss: one Morgan Proctor. In the Likes-Repel category: Amy.

Leela: A lifetime of constant rejection, and along comes a guy who isn't repelled by--OR abnormally attracted to--her eye. However, she's spent years keeping a wall up, and the few times she's let her guard down, her "knights in shining armor" have turned out to be Zapp and Alcazar. She's desperate enough to ask her married boss Ipji out, she obviously wants to let Fry "in" on his better days, but she's also seen her two closest male friends find love--and get tired of their women almost spontaneously. Why ask for another tasty round of rejection? Especially when you have to work with the guy on a daily basis?

See, it's posts like this that made me vote for BrainSluggo as poster of the month.

That's the best analysis I've seen of the Fry/Leela romance thingy yet. Kudos, BrainSluggo. I agree wholeheartedly to that post.
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #22 on: 05-04-2002 11:26 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by BrainSluggo:
she's also seen her two closest male friends find love--and get tired of their women almost spontaneously.

In Fry's defense, i think part of the reason he falls out of love with his girlfriends so fast is that he gets into these relationships as a halfhearted attempt to get over Leela and move on with his life. But no one he finds can even slightly measure up to her in his mind and so he loses interest. Kinda like why would you want a hamburger when you can have fele mignon? But of course, Leela dosn't know this. She sees the kinds of relationships he has and just thinks hes affraid of commitment and out for sex. So the REAL problem here is a communication failure between the two of them!
AstroZombie

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #23 on: 05-05-2002 06:56 »
« Last Edit on: 05-05-2002 06:56 »

<Bart> Testify!!</Bart>

  :D

:: Knows its not the top of the page but dances like a mad fool anyway (Hey I'm gonna be a father in 17 weeks, I'm entitled to a little celebration  :D )
BrainSluggo

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #24 on: 05-05-2002 13:40 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Venus:
So the REAL problem here is a communication failure between the two of them!

Absolutely. This is what makes the 'ship so much tantalizing fun: they are so close, and just one more firing synapse in just one of their skulls, at the right moment, would score a touchdown.

 
Quote
Originally posted by AstroZombie:
Hey I'm gonna be a father in 17 weeks, I'm entitled to a little celebration  :D

Then dance, Daddio, dance! Congratulations!


Many thanks to Erdrik, Venus, and Teral for your nice comments! You make my head all huge, and junk!
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #25 on: 05-05-2002 14:45 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by BrainSluggo:
Many thanks to Erdrik, Venus, and Teral for your nice comments! You make my head all huge, and junk!

We try
Erdrik

Professor
*
« Reply #26 on: 05-06-2002 08:30 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by BrainSluggo:

Many thanks to Erdrik, Venus, and Teral for your nice comments! You make my head all huge, and junk!

Any time  ;)

 
Quote
Venus
In Fry's defense, i think part of the reason he falls out of love with his girlfriends so fast is that he gets into these relationships as a halfhearted attempt to get over Leela and move on with his life. But no one he finds can even slightly measure up to her in his mind and so he loses interest. Kinda like why would you want a hamburger when you can have fele mignon? But of course, Leela dosn't know this. She sees the kinds of relationships he has and just thinks hes affraid of commitment and out for sex. So the REAL problem here is a communication failure between the two of them!

Ding Ding Ding! we have a winner!
BrainSluggo

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #27 on: 05-07-2002 15:02 »
« Last Edit on: 05-07-2002 15:02 »

One additional thought (and this is weird, because I'm addressing it in my fic but forgot to mention it here): I believe Leela--mistakenly--interprets Fry's decision to get rid of his worms at the end of Parasites Lost as a form of rejection of her.

They're all over each other, and suddenly he hops up and leaves. He comes back, "tests" their relationship, and says he got rid of the worms because HE WASN'T SURE ABOUT HER FEELINGS FOR HIM. (Oy gevalt. Leela gets a lot of flack about "I love what you've become" line, but this one's worse. Try it out on YOUR lover and find out! No, don't.)

He HAD "steak," he sent it back to the kitchen--and the chef doesn't understand WHY.

...then, of course, he starts talking about Amy--which is a bad move in itself, but it also reminds Leela of Fry's tantrum about needing to end THAT relationship. And who here honestly believes she slept peacefully the rest of the night? Bitter tears, cursing and Häagen-Dazs.

Leela may be subconsciously stringing him along, riding a fine line between reward and rejection, because deep down she feels that's the closest they'll have to a stable relationship. 
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #28 on: 05-07-2002 15:15 »

damn BrainSluggo. that actually made a lot of sense. Ive never thought about that before.
BumbleBeeTheta

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #29 on: 05-07-2002 17:08 »

Shmeesh, Brain_Sluggo.  Sounds like you think about this more than I do.  :p   Naw, I'm just kidding.  I was mentally writing Part Four in my head in World History, deciding to put a "death" scene in my What If fic during Geometry and dreaming up titles for my Three's Company parody as I came in the door.  :love:
Erdrik

Professor
*
« Reply #30 on: 05-08-2002 07:53 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by BrainSluggo:
One additional thought (and this is weird, because I'm addressing it in my fic but forgot to mention it here): I believe Leela--mistakenly--interprets Fry's decision to get rid of his worms at the end of Parasites Lost as a form of rejection of her.

They're all over each other, and suddenly he hops up and leaves. He comes back, "tests" their relationship, and says he got rid of the worms because HE WASN'T SURE ABOUT HER FEELINGS FOR HIM. (Oy gevalt. Leela gets a lot of flack about "I love what you've become" line, but this one's worse. Try it out on YOUR lover and find out! No, don't.)

He HAD "steak," he sent it back to the kitchen--and the chef doesn't understand WHY.

...then, of course, he starts talking about Amy--which is a bad move in itself, but it also reminds Leela of Fry's tantrum about needing to end THAT relationship. And who here honestly believes she slept peacefully the rest of the night? Bitter tears, cursing and Häagen-Dazs.

Leela may be subconsciously stringing him along, riding a fine line between reward and rejection, because deep down she feels that's the closest they'll have to a stable relationship. 

There isn't one part of that I don't agree with.  :D
Aleel

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #31 on: 06-14-2002 08:41 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Tweek:
I think they should get together and stay together   :)

You're right!!! Maybe they could let 'em get together in one of the last episodes but show that they stay together for the rest of their lives.
Ben

Space Pope
****
« Reply #32 on: 06-14-2002 08:57 »

I say they should get together for the episode just before they kill off Leela and replace her with someone else, better.

But then again, I could just be saying that because you kids are so fun to watch when you get fanatic and abusive about this stuff...  :D
bartman

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #33 on: 06-14-2002 10:18 »

if they got together permantly it would ruin the show,i think
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #34 on: 06-14-2002 17:42 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Ben:
I say they should get together for the episode just before they kill off Leela and replace her with someone else, better.

But then again, I could just be saying that because you kids are so fun to watch when you get fanatic and abusive about this stuff...   :D

SIC HIM KIDS!
:: thousands and thousands of adorable fuzzy kittens rush at Ben and maul him into bite sized pieces ::
aaaawwwwwww their so cute when they maim   :love:   :love:   :love:   :love:
David A

Space Pope
****
« Reply #35 on: 06-14-2002 22:17 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by bartman:
if they got together permantly it would ruin the show,i think

Yes, probably.  I think the only way it would work would be if they got together in the last episode.  The show would have to end at that point, so it becomes a question of would you rather see Fry and Leela together, or do you want the show to continue?     :hmpf:

Of course, since the show has been "put on hiatus" (i.e. cancelled), we probably won't get either one.    :(
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #36 on: 06-15-2002 13:02 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by David A:
  The show would have to end at that point, so it becomes a question of would you rather see Fry and Leela together, or do you want the show to continue?      :hmpf:

Why do all nonshippers seem to think that the only two options available are either they never get together or their together only for the last ep? Actually, the show could continue just fine with them together. Believe it or not the LFR relationship is NOT the only point of the show. Most eps don't even aknowledge their relationship and if they were together then eps could continue to do so, besides having them together opens new plot points such as the little misunderstandings, pregnancy scares,jealousies and fights that most relationships go through. They can be together and still get onto each others nerves, its not like they'd be all touchyfeely all the time. The quality of the show would not deminish at all if they were together it could possibly even improve.
PCC Fred

Space Pope
****
« Reply #37 on: 06-15-2002 17:04 »

  :hmpf:
Archie2K

Space Pope
****
« Reply #38 on: 06-15-2002 17:17 »

They should run off to Scotland and get married.  :love:  :love: Ah, love is in the air!!

I think what would be quite good is if they went on a delivery to a planet but found themselves stuck on a remote planet with just each other. Then they could truly find out if they were perfect for each other. That way we could see their relationship together but it wouldn't do anything particularly dramatic to the long-term storyline. If the show were to continue then I think that would be the best option overall.
Erdrik

Professor
*
« Reply #39 on: 06-16-2002 02:08 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by David A:
 Yes, probably.  I think the only way it would work would be if they got together in the last episode.  The show would have to end at that point, so it becomes a question of would you rather see Fry and Leela together, or do you want the show to continue?      :hmpf:

Of course, since the show has been "put on hiatus" (i.e. cancelled), we probably won't get either one.     :(

Since when is the show about Leela and Fry?
Hell if thats the case they shoulda called it "Lets jerk yer chains with Love birds show" instead of "Futurama"...  :rolleyes:

The show isn't just about Leela/Fry (no matter how much us Shippers want it to be.  :love:  :love: )
If Fry and Leela got together it would not ruin the show.  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines | some icons from famfamfam
Legal Notice & Disclaimer: "Futurama" TM and copyright FOX, its related entities and the Curiosity Company. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited. As a fan site, this Futurama forum, its operators, and any content on the site relating to "Futurama" are not explicitely authorized by Fox or the Curiosity Company.
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 38 queries.