Futurama   Planet Express Employee Lounge
The Futurama Message Board

Design and Support by Can't get enough Futurama
Help Search Futurama chat Login Register

PEEL - The Futurama Message Board    It's got a TV!    Angel cancelled « previous next »
Author Topic: Angel cancelled  (Read 716 times)
Pages: [1] 2 Print
PCC Fred

Space Pope
****
« on: 02-16-2004 11:03 »

Another great sci-fi show cancelled before it's time  frown
davierocks

Professor
*
« Reply #1 on: 02-16-2004 11:07 »

That's a shame.  However it was a show that I rarely watched.  Mostly due to it's unpredictable and unsociable timeslot on terrestrial television.  I would always watch if I happened to see it in the TV guide or if I flicked over and it was on but I never really got into the show or the storyline because of the above reasons.  frown
Otis P Jivefunk

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #2 on: 02-16-2004 13:24 »

I've only ever seen a few eps, thanx to bad time slots for the uncut versions of eps. What I saw I quite liked, so I guess this is a pity...
Pikka Bird

Space Pope
****
« Reply #3 on: 02-16-2004 13:33 »

Hmmm, I saw three episodes, liked zero episodes. Especially because of the actors. Charisma Carpenter is 100% one-sided and although her character is suppposed to be shallow, she hasn't got the depth to pull it off. That british guy with the glasses, that Wesley guy- is he supposed to be funny? He's not. And David Boreanaz (I spelled that myself with no sneaky checking out his name on another site) has no more than two (at most) facial expressions.
The light of the show are the demons. They are almost always great fun. Like in the old seasons of Buffy, before it started to get too caught up in itself.
But I think we're only halfway through the episodes here.
~FazeShift~

Moderator
DOOP Ubersecretary
**
« Reply #4 on: 02-16-2004 13:35 »

That sucks, I hope they're given enough episodes to wrap it up.  frown

Is there a chance it'll be taken up by another network?
SlaytanicMaggot
Professor
*
« Reply #5 on: 02-16-2004 13:38 »

Dark Angel was cancelled a year a-oh. THAT Angel...never mind then....never watched it.

Please edit your sig to 120 pixel height max.
[This message has been edited by Administrator [-mArc-]
Stuart B

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #6 on: 02-16-2004 13:38 »

Such a shame, I was really getting to like Angel... here's a snap from from one of the upcoming episodes (Smiletime) that was featurered in the b3ta newsletter:

davierocks

Professor
*
« Reply #7 on: 02-16-2004 17:22 »

Oh, and every episode I saw, Angel was Angelus.  Did this happen every week or was it just coincidence?
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #8 on: 02-16-2004 17:41 »

just a coincidence Davie. And although i will not miss Captain Forhead in the least, it won't be long before i fall into Spike withdrawel.
Juliet

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #9 on: 02-16-2004 17:50 »

First Buffy got cancel and now Angel. I hat it when great shows go away such as Friends and sex and the city.

PCC Fred

Space Pope
****
« Reply #10 on: 02-16-2004 19:14 »
« Last Edit on: 02-16-2004 19:14 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by ~FazeShift~:
That sucks, I hope they're given enough episodes to wrap it up.    frown

They'll finish the current 22 episodes, and FOX and WB told Whedon now rather than in May so he'd be able to write a proper finale.

 
Quote
Is there a chance it'll be taken up by another network?

I heard that UPN had expressed some interest, but in all honesty, American sci-fi has become a poisoned chalice, and I can't see anyone rushing to resurrect a cancelled show just like that.
~FazeShift~

Moderator
DOOP Ubersecretary
**
« Reply #11 on: 02-16-2004 20:38 »

Dammit, I assume there's billionaire nerds out there who watch these shows (hey, if Al Gore likes Futurama...), why don't they get on the trolley and bring 'em back.

*sulks*
Aw come on.... I'll be your friend!?!
newhook_1

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #12 on: 02-16-2004 21:08 »
« Last Edit on: 02-21-2004 00:00 »

Wait, I've never seen it before, but is there a futching puppet on the show? (In reference to the pic)
~FazeShift~

Moderator
DOOP Ubersecretary
**
« Reply #13 on: 02-16-2004 21:17 »

No, that's a phunny photoshop.  laff
Awesome one too.
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #14 on: 02-16-2004 21:29 »

no it's not a photoshop. In next weeks ep Angel will be turned into a puppet. This will either be very very lame or very very funny. I'm not sure yet.
newhook_1

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #15 on: 02-16-2004 21:47 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by ~FazeShift~:
No, that's a phunny photoshop.   laff
Awesome one too.

For a second I thought the show had a Jim Henson style puppet, going around killing creatures of the underworld.  laff
aslate

Space Pope
****
« Reply #16 on: 02-16-2004 22:01 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Juliet:
First Buffy got cancel and now Angel. I hat it when great shows go away such as Friends and sex and the city.


But Buffy, Friends and Sex and the City all reached the ends of their runs, some shows stay on screen too long, just look at The Simpsons...

I didn't mind Angel, but even if i did like it C4'd give me a hard time watching it.

The US schedule next year's gonna be empty, i mean you've got no more Angel, Buffy, Fraiser, Friends, Futurama, Sex and the City...
Oh well, enjoy Joe Millionaire 2, American Idol X, Big Brother Y and Generic Reality TV Show Z.

mjsmith

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #17 on: 02-16-2004 22:59 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by ~FazeShift~:
Is there a chance it'll be taken up by another network?

In fact, TNT is airing repeats weekdays afternoons. Check local listings.

  flirt

THE FUTURAMA SLAVE ARMY WILL RISE AGAIN!!!
Ryan227

Crustacean
*
« Reply #18 on: 02-16-2004 23:27 »

I liked Angel when Doyle was in it  tongue  Which was the first season I think... I was mad when they killed him off.
Venus

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #19 on: 02-17-2004 00:50 »

Didn't they kill Doyle off because the actor that played him died?
Tweek

UberMod
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #20 on: 02-17-2004 05:37 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Venus:
Didn't they kill Doyle off because the actor that played him died?
Since he died on screen I doubt the actor died, I guess he might have died since but don't think so or I'm sure there would have been reference to it in the credits.

It sucks that Angel is being cancelled though  frown

David A

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #21 on: 02-17-2004 05:56 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by newhook_1:
 For a second I thought the show had a Jim Henson style puppet, going around killing creatures of the underworld.   laff

If they made a show like that, I would totally watch it.   big grin

On a sadder note, according to IMDb, Glenn Quinn (the actor who played Doyle) died on December 3rd, 2002.
Juliet

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #22 on: 02-17-2004 07:29 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by aslate:
 But Buffy, Friends and Sex and the City all reached the ends of their runs, some shows stay on screen too long, just look at The Simpsons...

I didn't mind Angel, but even if i did like it C4'd give me a hard time watching it.

The US schedule next year's gonna be empty, i mean you've got no more Angel, Buffy, Fraiser, Friends, Futurama, Sex and the City...
Oh well, enjoy Joe Millionaire 2, American Idol X, Big Brother Y and Generic Reality TV Show Z.


Meh I better start watching Nick Tuck and Jake 2.0 then.  hmpf

Ryan227

Crustacean
*
« Reply #23 on: 02-17-2004 09:39 »

 
Quote
On a sadder note, according to IMDb, Glenn Quinn (the actor who played Doyle) died on December 3rd, 2002.

Oh hm that is sad I never knew that.

boingo2000

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #24 on: 02-17-2004 11:29 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Juliet:
 Meh I better start watching Nick Tuck and Jake 2.0 then.   hmpf


Didn't Jake 2.0 already get cancelled?  I heard it did.

PCC Fred

Space Pope
****
« Reply #25 on: 02-17-2004 12:32 »

Jake 2.0 - Cancelled
Angel - Cancelled
Enterprise - Season reduced from 26 to 24 episodes
Stargate SG1 - Will end next year
Andromeda - Carries on and on and on and on...
Allen

Professor
*
« Reply #26 on: 02-18-2004 12:12 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Tweek:
 
Quote
Originally posted by Venus:
Didn't they kill Doyle off because the actor that played him died?
Since he died on screen I doubt the actor died, I guess he might have died since but don't think so or I'm sure there would have been reference to it in the credits.

It sucks that Angel is being cancelled though   frown


The late Glenn Quinn (Doyle) was alive and kicking when he left the show. He died about a year after. I think the official cause of death is that he O.D.ed

Reports from Joss say that the season will finish as originally planned, but he is glad the network gave his people enough time to find other work.

It's truly sad. But on the other hand, maybe I'll get more stuff done now that nothing's on TV.


The end of a story is only the beginning.
~FazeShift~

Moderator
DOOP Ubersecretary
**
« Reply #27 on: 02-18-2004 13:45 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by PCC Fred:
Stargate SG1 - Will end next year.
With season 8, but then remember, there's gonna be another movie (or two).
Stuart B

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #28 on: 02-18-2004 13:53 »

And there's always Stargate: Atlantis as well...

crosses fingers Please, let them get it right!!


Also: Venus is right, that Angel piccie isn't a Photoshop, it's very definitely from an Episode called Smiletime (I even watched a horribly compressed encode of the US Trailer)
RoadKill

Crustacean
*
« Reply #29 on: 02-19-2004 03:48 »

Typical, all my shows get cancelled. With my luck I wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled DS9 as well...  wink

Oh well, five seasons with a classy ending sounds like enough. Besides, over here they've just started the second season, so there's still a long way to go...
Mattybwoy

Delivery Boy
**
« Reply #30 on: 02-19-2004 04:19 »

Never really watched it, I watched one episode and it sucked.
PCC Fred

Space Pope
****
« Reply #31 on: 02-19-2004 07:07 »

BTW, which US network airs Stargate?  I know it's not one of the major networks, which stands to reason since it's lasted longer than 13 episodes.
CyberKnight

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #32 on: 02-19-2004 07:11 »

The Sci-Fi channel. Originally Showtime aired it but in Season 6 I think Sci-Fi took it over.

(Of course, we actually get new episodes on Sky One before them for half the year.  big grin)
theZoid88

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #33 on: 02-19-2004 14:46 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Pikka Bird:
Hmmm, I saw three episodes, liked zero episodes. Especially because of the actors. Charisma Carpenter is 100% one-sided and although her character is suppposed to be shallow, she hasn't got the depth to pull it off. That british guy with the glasses, that Wesley guy- is he supposed to be funny? He's not. And David Boreanaz (I spelled that myself with no sneaky checking out his name on another site) has no more than two (at most) facial expressions.
The light of the show are the demons. They are almost always great fun. Like in the old seasons of Buffy, before it started to get too caught up in itself.
But I think we're only halfway through the episodes here.

thats true! i hate the so called " jokes" on the show, the were more one sided then " cordilia" buffy is way better, its a shame that was cancelled too.
  no no  but now that angels cancelled   big grin
~FazeShift~

Moderator
DOOP Ubersecretary
**
« Reply #34 on: 02-19-2004 17:28 »

How do you expect to get (or even recognise) jokes in a series you've only seen three episodes of?  confused
I think some shows you have to get used to, they're not instantly involving.
Tweek

UberMod
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #35 on: 02-20-2004 03:21 »

In-jokes are something that makes a show good, a treat for loyal viewers who watched all episodes.
PCC Fred

Space Pope
****
« Reply #36 on: 02-20-2004 11:42 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Tweek:
In-jokes are something that makes a show good, a treat for loyal viewers who watched all episodes.

That's true, but it's also possible to overdo them and swamp the episode.  It's the same thing I complained about last year with badly done story arcs.  How does a show attract viewers when it's constantly referring to events from previous episodes?  Many people won't have the patience to try and pick up the story strands.
wu_konguk

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #37 on: 02-20-2004 11:55 »

And that is one of the main reasons Farscape was cancelled. The story arcs where to involved.
Well at least the writers of Angel were given enough time to write a sutible ending rather than being told on th e last day of shooting :grr:
PCC Fred

Space Pope
****
« Reply #38 on: 02-20-2004 12:07 »

Maybe that's why Stargate SG1 has outlasted so many other sci-fis.  It does have arc plots, but they're not as involved, and it has more self-contained episodes.
davierocks

Professor
*
« Reply #39 on: 02-20-2004 12:08 »

That's also the reason I never really got into the X-Files.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines | some icons from famfamfam
Legal Notice & Disclaimer: "Futurama" TM and copyright FOX, its related entities and the Curiosity Company. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited. As a fan site, this Futurama forum, its operators, and any content on the site relating to "Futurama" are not explicitely authorized by Fox or the Curiosity Company.
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 18 queries.