Futurama   Planet Express Employee Lounge
The Futurama Message Board

Design and Support by Can't get enough Futurama
Help Search Futurama chat Login Register

PEEL - The Futurama Message Board    It's got a TV!    American/non anime Cartoons Vs.Anime « previous next »
Author Topic: American/non anime Cartoons Vs.Anime  (Read 2331 times)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
PEE Poll: American/non anime Cartoons Vs.Anime
Anime All the way!   -16 (38.1%)
Anime? Anime?!No way!   -25 (59.5%)
Umm.....I hate cartoons.   -1 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 42

evan

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #80 on: 08-23-2003 17:26 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Nefnar:
I hate anime, they speak so serious like if it was something real. and anime is not funny at all.
And because of anime all the kids from my country speak stupidly stupid.

I hope that was on purpose...  evil laugh
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #81 on: 08-23-2003 17:40 »
« Last Edit on: 08-23-2003 17:40 »

     
Quote
Originally posted by Just Chris:
 Yet your avatar is anime styled! How about that? Do you know what drawing style Sinfest emulates? ANIME! And the author is name TATSUYA ISHIDA! Man, you're a reverse xenophobe or something       tongue

Like I said, there are many American cartoons that I like but anime can bury the rest into the ground. And those aren't any good examples of quality anime, Kryten. Good stuff isn't just "spoon-fed" to you. You gotta search for yourself. There's no way in hell Samurai X or Berserk are going to be on the Kids' WB. US networks tend to butcher the content to pieces, and anime isn't good when it's watered down. You have to go to the uncut source.

Why work so hard to find something that was made for a totally different audience? Sure its wrong to judge all anime by the stuff we see on american TV but its all we have to go off of. Why should anyone have to go to the trouble?

anyway,
Reasons why most anime sucks:
1. Most characters are the same, theres always a shy girl who believe in absolute decency and tradition(she usually gets raped) theres always a bad ass who is usually overpowered by above said girl, and then theres the slutty spy/agent/ rogue/thief.
2. The Japanese seem to have a blurred sense of how Japanese women look, though if you ever find a natural big breasted, blonde full Japanese girl who is prone to wearing skimpy outfits then you have proven me wrong.(it makes you wonder...do our cartoons emulate them as much as thier cartoons seem to emulate us?)
3. The fans...this is the worst part. The American Anime fans. You know the ones im talking about, the ones who will buy anything with a Japanese label on it, speak to you in complete jibberish(they usually follow it up with "Thats japanese for..." ) and never, not in one million years could any american character defeat an anime one. Now, you could say "Hardcore fans of any series are annoying" but theres no way Trekkies or ANYTHING else in the whole motherfucking universe is as annoying as Japanophiles...

 
Quote
Originally posted by bankrupt:
 I like the show after only seeing two episodes of it, yet I'm decidedly unjapanese.  How does that work?

You're easily amused? 


The official CARLITO of PEEL
Just Chris

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #82 on: 08-23-2003 23:31 »

Yeah, I gotta agree that the fans can be the worst part of the anime scene. I'm a casual fan, in that I only buy videos that I only really like, and don't buy just for the sake of collecting. I don't litter my speech with Japanese, as some people do. And it's not "kawaii" to cosplay as your favorite "baka babe". Okay, I used some Japanese there, but it was for mockery.

But have you seen how young Japanese people dress over there? The young people wear T-shirts just because they have English on them. They can say "Love our magic pestilence" (I actually saw that in one picture), and the Japanese kids will wear it, much like American kids who like the Japanese characters but haven't a clue what they mean
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #83 on: 08-23-2003 23:52 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Just Chris:
Yeah, I gotta agree that the fans can be the worst part of the anime scene. I'm a casual fan, in that I only buy videos that I only really like, and don't buy just for the sake of collecting. I don't litter my speech with Japanese, as some people do. And it's not "kawaii" to cosplay as your favorite "baka babe". Okay, I used some Japanese there, but it was for mockery.

But have you seen how young Japanese people dress over there? The young people wear T-shirts just because they have English on them. They can say "Love our magic pestilence" (I actually saw that in one picture), and the Japanese kids will wear it, much like American kids who like the Japanese characters but haven't a clue what they mean

Lol, I had no idea! I wonder if there are Japanese people who get annoyed by the "Americanophiles"


The official CARLITO of PEEL
DotheBartman

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #84 on: 08-23-2003 23:59 »

Both are styles, that's it.  A style is a style, and doesn't neccasarily dictate quality.

That said, non-anime has a FAR better track record with me then anime.  In all honesty, the only anime I've liked so far was Spirited Away, and I've seen a fair amount of stuff.  I've seen the first few episodes of Trigun, and its just dull.  Cowboy Bebop's first episode was just idiotic.  Ghost in the Shell was pathetic.  Akira had some interesting animation, but as for the story....

Plus, I just don't really like the style.  Maybe its not so much the style itself, but the fact that it all tends to look the same.  American cartoons have been guilty of the same problem (all the old Hanna Barbara cartoons were exactly the same, for instance), but at this point in their development there's lots of different styles, and creators are doing their own thing rather then going "by the books" in terms of how to draw the characters.  Anime, on the other hand, usually just looks the same.  Same faces, same expressions, etc.  Spirited Away had lots of wonderful, imaginative, unique animation, but it was the exception, not the norm, for my experiences.

Hopefully anime (or at least the anime we got on these shores) can evolve in the way american cartoons have, and creators will start doing their own thing rather then using the medium as a crutch.  In all honesty, I think much of the success of anime here has come mainly from people who will watch ANYTHING that comes out of japan simply because it comes out of Japan.
Nixorbo

UberMod
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #85 on: 08-24-2003 00:23 »
« Last Edit on: 08-24-2003 00:23 »

^ There's so much in that post I agree completely with.

Except for Trigun being dull.

 
Quote
Originally posted by Coop, I think:
The fans...this is the worst part. The American Anime fans. You know the ones im talking about, the ones who will buy anything with a Japanese label on it, speak to you in complete jibberish(they usually follow it up with "Thats japanese for..." ) and never, not in one million years could any american character defeat an anime one.

Amen, amen, amen.

Of course, those are the most fun to anger...
evan

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #86 on: 08-24-2003 01:27 »
« Last Edit on: 08-24-2003 01:27 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:
Why work so hard to find something that was made for a totally different audience? Sure its wrong to judge all anime by the stuff we see on american TV but its all we have to go off of. Why should anyone have to go to the trouble?

As Ian McKaye of Fugazi once said (paraphrased) "You could go to the 7-11 to get some microwavable shit, or you could go a little bit farther to get the good stuff." Same principle here. Why should anyone go to the trouble to find something good? Why go to the trouble of finding Futurama on FOX?

   
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:
1. Most characters are the same, theres always a shy girl who believe in absolute decency and tradition(she usually gets raped) theres always a bad ass who is usually overpowered by above said girl, and then theres the slutty spy/agent/ rogue/thief.

In all the anime I've seen, I've never seen anything like that. I've never seen any rape occured, nor have I seen a badass been overpowered by a decent girl, either.

   
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:
2. The Japanese seem to have a blurred sense of how Japanese women look, though if you ever find a natural big breasted, blonde full Japanese girl who is prone to wearing skimpy outfits then you have proven me wrong.(it makes you wonder...do our cartoons emulate them as much as thier cartoons seem to emulate us?)

Yeah, and Leela is so representative of American women. Please. The blond, big-breasted woman is gone from most serious anime.

As a casual fan, it's hard to hear something you like being ripped apart. That's why so many people go into attack mode when anime is threatened. (And, btw, the first episode of Cowboy Bebop was a direct homage/reference to the film "Desperado".)
alexvilagosh

Goose Patrol
Space Pope
****
« Reply #87 on: 08-24-2003 01:37 »

Anime sucks, up with American cartoons.

"Don't like it, kiss my rump."
- Peter
evan

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #88 on: 08-24-2003 01:38 »

Um, so does "Family Guy."

"American cartoons suck, and so do you."

It's hard to be civil when someone says you're a moron for liking a television show.
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #89 on: 08-24-2003 01:45 »

Well than evan, Ill try not to insult anime for you, Ill just let this thread do that for me. Seeing as 60% who voted think that anime sucks.

 
Quote
As Ian McKaye of Fugazi once said (paraphrased) "You could go to the 7-11 to get some microwavable shit, or you could go a little bit farther to get the good stuff." Same principle here. Why should anyone go to the trouble to find something good? Why go to the trouble of finding Futurama on FOX?


Because Futurama was made here..in the states. In order to get most anime, you have to import it, or ******** it from the you know where. And why the hell would I want to go to that trouble? Its all the same anyway.



The official CARLITO of PEEL
winna

Avatar Czar
DOOP Ubersecretary
**
« Reply #90 on: 08-24-2003 01:59 »

There's good that can be found in both genres (If you could even consider them genres) Futurama is a good American example; and contrary to what Dothe Bartman said, Cowboy Bebop is an extremely cool example of the Japanese brand.  BTW Cowboy Bebop seems extremely influenced in the western world...  I like the American and the Japanese voices for that show, especially jet's japanese voice "Spiger"
evan

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #91 on: 08-24-2003 02:08 »
« Last Edit on: 08-24-2003 02:08 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:
Well than evan, Ill try not to insult anime for you, Ill just let this thread do that for me. Seeing as 60% who voted think that anime sucks.

   
Quote
As Ian McKaye of Fugazi once said (paraphrased) "You could go to the 7-11 to get some microwavable shit, or you could go a little bit farther to get the good stuff." Same principle here. Why should anyone go to the trouble to find something good? Why go to the trouble of finding Futurama on FOX?


Because Futurama was made here..in the states. In order to get most anime, you have to import it, or ******** it from the you know where. And why the hell would I want to go to that trouble? Its all the same anyway.


First off, about 16 people said "anime sucks." Many of them only referred to Pokemon. Many of the rest admitted that they have not seen very much. These are really educated and well-thought-out opinions.

And, jeez, I thought you could buy anime at your local video store or rent it at a Blockbuster. Or even *gasp* you could watch it on t.v. Silly me. I must have been wrong there, too.

I guess I'm just a big wrong guy for liking "Trigun" more than "SpongeBob" or "Neon Genesis" more than, um, "The Powerpuff Girls."

/edit -- stereotypes like "it's all the same" are fun.
alexvilagosh

Goose Patrol
Space Pope
****
« Reply #92 on: 08-24-2003 02:11 »

Spongebob is just like Futurama for sure...
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #93 on: 08-24-2003 02:21 »
« Last Edit on: 08-24-2003 02:21 »

   
Quote
Originally posted by evan:
  First off, about 16 people said "anime sucks." Many of them only referred to Pokemon. Many of the rest admitted that they have not seen very much. These are really educated and well-thought-out opinions.

And, jeez, I thought you could buy anime at your local video store or rent it at a Blockbuster. Or even *gasp* you could watch it on t.v. Silly me. I must have been wrong there, too.

I guess I'm just a big wrong guy for liking "Trigun" more than "SpongeBob" or "Neon Genesis" more than, um, "The Powerpuff Girls."

/edit -- stereotypes like "it's all the same" are fun.

I never said you couldnt buy them, I just said that most people judged anime by the stuff we get on american TV because its all we can get and dont care to buy anything else.

And I have watched alot of anime, I watched all of Trigun and used to love it to death. But after watching quite a few other series' I can honestly say, you arent missing ANYTHING non-anime fans.

Any when did I call you "A big wrong guy?" if you consider the fact that I dont like anime a personal attack then you need to leave and find a place where different opinions arent allowed.


The official CARLITO of PEEL
SlaytanicMaggot
Professor
*
« Reply #94 on: 08-24-2003 02:44 »

you know, if you wanna see western-influenced anime, watch "Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust." (Note: this is different from the original Vampire Hunter D...Bloodlust is about 10,000 leagues ABOVE the first movie...)

it was a joint american-japanese collaboration, and it was good one...the animation is so beautiful, and-get this-all the vocal tracks were recorded in english only, and damned if it isn't good...it doesn't help that the dude who directed "Ninja Scroll" and "Program" from the Animatrix directs this...besides, how can you not pass up a movie that has Mike McShane being a wisecracking, possesed left hand? AND has John Dimaggio, Mr. voice of the one-and-only Bender, doing like 5 voices?

and for anime-influenced western animation, two words: Samurai. Jack.

 

Please edit your sig to 120 pixel height max.
[This message has been edited by Administrator [-mArc-]
Nurdbot

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #95 on: 08-24-2003 03:27 »

^
Fully agree with you there.

Everybody this may sound ironic but don't get over excited, or we'll take you outside.

I still think both genre's have there good and bad points. It's like a argument flaring up about Britain and America who've have both done mixed good things and bad.

Alex, if your comments are going to less than two sentences long don't bother posting.

And what you say Coop is reasonable, but America and Japan produce the same sort of attempts at comedy (Annoying WACKY game shows and Sitcoms).

You must bow towards Britain! Masters of comedy!
MrMayat

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #96 on: 08-24-2003 05:13 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:
 
And I have watched alot of anime, I watched all of Trigun and used to love it to death. But after watching quite a few other series' I can honestly say, you arent missing ANYTHING non-anime fans.


I'm curious about your anime selection. Do elaborate...

 
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:

if you consider the fact that I dont like anime a personal attack then you need to leave and find a place where different opinions arent allowed.


You're always welcomed here in Singapore, Evan.
Note: Yet another "stereotype is fun" comment.  tongue
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #97 on: 08-24-2003 12:44 »
« Last Edit on: 08-24-2003 12:44 »

   
Quote
Originally posted by MrMayat:
I'm curious about your anime selection. Do elaborate

Alright then, thats a pretty odd request. The animes I did like were Trigun, which I own the DVDs of. I also liked BGC Tokyo 2040 and my of course favorite of all time: Tigermask. The animes that ruined it all for me were Mezzo Forte(ugh), Inuyasha(double sucks) and all of the commercial for kiddy animes that are being packaged and shoved down our throats here in america(DBZ, Gundam ect..). And again, the fans drive me nuts. Im almost convinced that all anime fans are Yaoi hungry little freaks.

I just wish I could turn to cartoon network and see more american cartoons. Why don't they show more Justice league or He-man?(new ones that is). They could make Toonami and entirely different channel, that way, everyone is satisfied.

 
Quote
Originally posted by nurdbot:
You must bow towards Britain! Masters of comedy!

Yes, I totally agree here.


The official CARLITO of PEEL
CyberKnight

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #98 on: 08-24-2003 13:05 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:
They could make Toonami and entirely different channel, that way, everyone is satisfied.

Ironically, that's what they're about to do here in the UK (at the moment, Toonami is part of CNX, but from September 8th, CNX will be totally replaced by Toonami).
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #99 on: 08-24-2003 13:08 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by CyberKnight:
 Ironically, that's what they're about to do here in the UK (at the moment, Toonami is part of CNX, but from September 8th, CNX will be totally replaced by Toonami).

Well there you go! Thats good, they could do that here in the states and it would be great.



The official CARLITO of PEEL
Allen

Professor
*
« Reply #100 on: 08-24-2003 14:08 »

I'm more upset there's not a fourth option. Neutral. As in I have no strong feelings one way or the other. Failing that, I'm gonna go with "I hate anime." That is I hate the crap that became popular over here. That said I did come across a series that was originally manga, was outfitted for TV, and had six movies. Alas, this show has been out of circulation for over 20 years. It's called "Urusei Yatsura."

I've only seen the second movie and attempts to get my hands on the other five have proven futile. If the movies are hard to grab, then recordings of the show are nonexistant. I'd go get the manga, but I can't read Japenese.

There's some inspiration for you all feeling down about Futurama. Do a search on that show and you'll find lots of sites, some still being updated. Not bad for a 20 year old show.

And to think I came across it while looking at some drawings. I saw one of the lead female characters and thought "Me like."


The end of a story is only the beginning.
Nurdbot

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #101 on: 08-25-2003 04:00 »

*Sob's and Hug's Allen as Well*
Me too! And sure as hell I'm now using Kazaa to find any.

Also:
 
Quote
Im almost convinced that all anime fans are Yaoi hungry little freaks.
Second's later.
 
Quote
Why don't they show more Justice league or He-man?
Coop, my newbie friend, you have made my day with that comment  laff
starone

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #102 on: 08-25-2003 14:34 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Nurdbot:
Why don't they show more Justice league or He-man?


Because those shows suck!

Nurdbot

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #103 on: 08-25-2003 15:41 »

*Hit's starone*
Moron! I didn't say that originally.
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #104 on: 08-25-2003 17:59 »
« Last Edit on: 08-25-2003 17:59 »

Whats wrong with Justice League? sure the characters are portrayed to be a little weaker, but you have to limit them or else they will get rediculous like the comics are now.
Both Justice league and He-man are great shows(if there were less eps with Man-at-arms that is), especially the eps where the JL go into another dimension and meet those campy comic book characters. And the tribute to Gardner F. Fox was just touching. Its especially great for a comic buff like me.

And He-Man, thats just nostalgia, I liked the old series.

Also, screw you, Nurtbot. I think I've been here long enough to out-live my newbie status.


The official CARLITO of PEEL
NibblerJr

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #105 on: 08-25-2003 18:08 »

Shut up n00b! I think not. And so does he.
Nurdbot

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #106 on: 08-25-2003 18:10 »

I'm trying to say that He-Man is abit Homo-Erotic  no no in good humor as well.

Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #107 on: 08-25-2003 18:12 »
« Last Edit on: 08-25-2003 18:12 »

   
Quote
Originally posted by Nurdbot:
I'm trying to say that He-Man is abit Homo-Erotic     no no in good humor as well.


A bit? lol. Are you kidding??? He-Man is the epitomy of gayness! Everyone knows that, look at his name, its HE-MAN! and he wears a loin cloth and rides a tiger.

I get plenty of persecution for liking the show. But whats even worse, try being a He-Man fan who also watches Wrestling on a regular basis.

I dont mind the gay jokes, those are all in good fun. But I am not a n00b!


The official CARLITO of PEEL
NibblerJr

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #108 on: 08-25-2003 18:57 »

You just dont get it.

YOU JOINED FREAKING LAST MONTH!
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #109 on: 08-25-2003 18:58 »

and yet I still manage  to post more than you...thats weird.


The official CARLITO of PEEL
winna

Avatar Czar
DOOP Ubersecretary
**
« Reply #110 on: 08-25-2003 19:16 »

Post counts don't mean everything, And I out beat both of you in years :P
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #111 on: 08-25-2003 19:36 »
« Last Edit on: 08-25-2003 19:36 »

No they certainly dont, but I think by now I should have lost my n00b status after 480 posts


The official CARLITO of PEEL
LaVaLaDy

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #112 on: 08-25-2003 20:04 »
« Last Edit on: 08-25-2003 20:04 »

anime is boooring to me. the only ones i ever wach are dragonball and um uh thats it.
i love cartoons period
(p.s.: how long dose someone have to be here not to be a newbie)
Kryten

Space Pope
****
« Reply #113 on: 08-25-2003 21:02 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:
No they certainly dont, but I think by now I should have lost my n00b status after 480 posts


Oh yeah? Well, MY dick's the biggest, and I declare you both fools of the highest caliber!

Now, shake hands and return to your corner.

Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #114 on: 08-25-2003 21:15 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Kryten:
 Oh yeah? Well, MY dick's the biggest, and I declare you both fools of the highest caliber!

Now, shake hands and return to your corner.


oh...my..god. Saying that took gonads. You win.


but Im still not a n00b.


The official CARLITO of PEEL
NibblerJr

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #115 on: 08-25-2003 21:19 »
« Last Edit on: 08-25-2003 21:19 »

if you have so may posts in 1 month,it means you spam.and n00bness is declared by months [usually]
And Kryten still wins.
And also, Your Mother!
Coop

Professor
*
« Reply #116 on: 08-25-2003 21:33 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by NibblerJr:
if you have so may posts in 1 month,it means you spam.and n00bness is declared by months [usually]
And Kryten still wins.
And also, Your Mother!

Read every single one of my posts then tell me that.


The official CARLITO of PEEL
evan

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #117 on: 08-26-2003 01:40 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Coop:
And He-Man, thats just nostalgia, I liked the old series.

People who claim to still like the original He-Man show are liars. Upon watching it as an adult, I was surprised by how crappy that show was. Same thing for Thundercats, and most other 80s cartoons (aside from GI Joe and Transformers).
Nixorbo

UberMod
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #118 on: 08-26-2003 03:24 »

Now, if you're done bitching about whether or not how long a person has been registered at a particular place has any bearing on credibility of arguements...

I'm a moderate with Western leanings.  I see anime as just another form of animation that merits no greater or lesser respect than any other form.  I will admit, rather easily, that there is greater diversity in western animation, particularly in character design.  For instance, Jack of Samarai Jack would look incredibly out of place in say The Simpsons.  Vash the Stampede, however, would not look all that out of place in Magic Knight Rayearth.
Nurdbot

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #119 on: 08-26-2003 06:32 »

Neutrality is a good thing. People get rich off it, Like Switzerland.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines | some icons from famfamfam
Legal Notice & Disclaimer: "Futurama" TM and copyright FOX, its related entities and the Curiosity Company. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited. As a fan site, this Futurama forum, its operators, and any content on the site relating to "Futurama" are not explicitely authorized by Fox or the Curiosity Company.
Page created in 0.174 seconds with 19 queries.