Futurama   Planet Express Employee Lounge
The Futurama Message Board

Design and Support by Can't get enough Futurama
Help Search Futurama chat Login Register

PEEL - The Futurama Message Board    Human Resource Department    We Ship for Free Anywhere In the Galaxy! Shipper Thread V « previous next »
 Topic locked! 
Author Topic: We Ship for Free Anywhere In the Galaxy! Shipper Thread V  (Read 28082 times)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20 Print
gwynhwyfar

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #480 on: 08-22-2007 17:48 »





Bender: I'll miss you, Leela. [Leela is in a circus animal cage.] I know you're just a carbon-based life form but I'll always think of you as a big pile of titanium.

[He sobs. Fry puts his arm around him.]

Fry: What Bender means is, you're really brave, and smart, and beautiful, and a great friend.

Bender: (crying) Just like titanium!

[thanks to TLZ and CGEF]

just throwing back in the shippyness. although bender seemed to be more emotional over leela than fry.
km73

Space Pope
****
« Reply #481 on: 08-22-2007 18:53 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by gwynhwyfar:

Fry: What Bender means is, you're really brave, and smart, and beautiful, and a great friend.

Yeah, I always think it's cute how once in a while Fry tosses in a nice line like that to Leela...but it's not like he actually made any attempt to stop her being eaten by Lrrr. In fact, i thought it was interesting that Zapp's plan almost worked...his scheme would have worked if not for the hippie.
And Fry sometimes says nice things but he is often completely insensitive--an example would be how in ISTE he didn't seem to care a bit that her pet had been flushed down the toilet, he never comforted her and never said a word to her about it that whole episode. And of course when he said to the beach bully guy, "not even if she was my girl--you can have her" or whatever. I guess my point is that shippers always want to focus on the sweet things F does for her but often tend to overlook the completely insensitive things.
Officer 1BDI

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #482 on: 08-22-2007 19:00 »
« Last Edit on: 08-22-2007 19:00 »

 
Quote
an example would be how in ISTE he didn't seem to care a bit that her pet had been flushed down the toilet

To his credit, I thought he looked pretty pissed off at Bender when they were restraining him:



And he looks like he's making some effort to comfort her here.

I agree with your general sentiment, but I'd chalk it up to a combination of "the writers were still trying to get a feel for Fry" and "Fry hadn't realized just how special Leela was to him at the time."  It doesn't excuse his behavior, but it makes it a little more understandable, at least for me.
km73

Space Pope
****
« Reply #483 on: 08-22-2007 19:23 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Officer 1BDI:

I agree with your general sentiment, but I'd chalk it up to a combination of "the writers were still trying to get a feel for Fry" and "Fry hadn't realized just how special Leela was to him at the time."  It doesn't excuse his behavior, but it makes it a little more understandable, at least for me.


Oh, absolutely, I agree with those two statements, but I just meant that there are just as many examples of him acting kind of disinterested towards her as there of him being sweet, but these tend to get ignored in the comments of shippers.

(True, he does look mad and then comforting in those two pictures, but i was going by the fact that he doesn't say anything to her. At least not that i remember).
coldangel

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #484 on: 08-22-2007 19:36 »

When I act disinterested toward women, it's usually because I'm trying to appear cool. I really do want them, but I don't want to appear like I want them.
HipNoJoe
Bending Unit
***
« Reply #485 on: 08-22-2007 21:27 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by km73:
...there are just as many examples of him acting kind of disinterested towards her as there of him being sweet, but these tend to get ignored in the comments of shippers...
[inserting fingers in ears] LA LA LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING TO KM73!! LA LA LA LA
Ralph Snart

Agent Provocateur
Near Death Star Inhabitant
DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #486 on: 08-22-2007 21:39 »

Ah, but Fry did risk his safety by going into the sewers to look for Bender without her asking.  He threw himself between the mutants and Leela with fire.
fryandlemon

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #487 on: 08-22-2007 22:48 »
« Last Edit on: 08-22-2007 22:48 »

Two shippy banners because I was bored:



And yes, there are a few times - a lot of times - when Fry looked disinterested in her and stuff.  A few of the examples mentioned before were ones from earlier episodes, like when Leela loses Nibbler, or the beach bully.  Earlier episodes I can kind of excuse.. But I remember feeling a little bothered by Fry in The Cyber House Rules.  Okay, first he showed a little bit of jealousy, but then when Leela was thinking of having kids with Adlai, he just stood there looking uninterested..

I like coldangel's explanation though..
Officer 1BDI

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #488 on: 08-22-2007 23:15 »
« Last Edit on: 08-22-2007 23:15 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by km73:
Oh, absolutely, I agree with those two statements, but I just meant that there are just as many examples of him acting kind of disinterested towards her as there of him being sweet, but these tend to get ignored in the comments of shippers.

...Yeah, I admit I'm guilty of this.

 
Quote
Originally posted by fryandlemon:
But I remember feeling a little bothered by Fry in The Cyber House Rules. Okay, first he showed a little bit of jealousy, but then when Leela was thinking of having kids with Adlai, he just stood there looking uninterested..

I think at that point he was just at a complete loss.  Leela was pretty happy with Adlai, and although he was horribly boring, he wasn't hurting her to the extent that Zapp and Al had (in fact, up until the jail scene, I thought he seemed like one of the more decent guys she'd hooked up with).  They were practically engaged at that point, and I think Fry had decided that as long as Leela was happy, he shouldn't force the issue more than he already had.

He kind of did the same thing with Chaz: initially he reacted with jealousy, and though it was pretty obvious that Chaz was pushy (to everyone but his date) and pompous, once Leela was actually with him, he didn't try to object to the relationship.  He even (arguably) helped prolong the date by agreeing to watch Nibbler that night.

I saw those as attempts on his part to allow Leela to be happy, his own emotions notwithstanding, rather than him simply throwing his arms up and saying "*pfft* I give up."

Plus... Leela's stubborn enough that I think she would had to see for herself that the guys she was dating were jerks, and no amount of convincing from Fry would be enough to sway her opinion.
km73

Space Pope
****
« Reply #489 on: 08-23-2007 01:01 »

@HipNoJoe: that's okay, no one usually listens to me    tongue 

And, yeah, I didn't mention Cyber House Rules (which is in my top 20 of favorite episodes) because, as Officer says, he at least DID show jealousy towards "Mr. Average", but he didn't want to stand in her way.

(By the way, Officer 1BDI, i really like your avatar. The Trisolians are drawn so beautifully).
Decapodian

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #490 on: 08-23-2007 03:52 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Officer 1BDI:
  To his credit, I thought he looked pretty pissed off at Bender when they were restraining him:




Yeah but so does Hermes and Zoidberg. And you're not suggesting anything between them and Leela, are you?


Twilight is quite possibly the worst popular book ever written.
Xanfor

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #491 on: 08-23-2007 10:45 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by coldangel_1:

When I act disinterested toward women, it's usually because I'm trying to appear cool. I really do want them, but I don't want to appear like I want them.

When I act disinterested toward women, it's usually because I am disinterested in them. I really am disinterested, and I don't really care if they notice I'm disinterested.

km73

Space Pope
****
« Reply #492 on: 08-23-2007 11:40 »

In relation to absolutely nothing, I just found an old thread called 'Relationships' in which SpaceCase refers to Leela and Fry as being "on an asymptotal trajectory." God that's great. I wish i would have thought of that.
SonicPanther

Professor
*
« Reply #493 on: 08-23-2007 13:02 »

I, um... I have no idea what that means. *hangs head in shame*
km73

Space Pope
****
« Reply #494 on: 08-23-2007 13:26 »

It means they get closer and closer to each other without touching. That is, without actually getting together.
Officer 1BDI

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #495 on: 08-23-2007 13:28 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Decapodian:
 Yeah but so does Hermes and Zoidberg. And you're not suggesting anything between them and Leela, are you?

That's not what I was suggesting.  km73 said that Fry seemed nonchalant to Leela losing her pet, and I was trying to show that he wasn't.  I wasn't trying to say "Fry cared about Leela's loss, so, ha! he does love her," I was simply trying to say, "Fry cared about Leela's loss."

SpaceCase

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #496 on: 08-23-2007 13:35 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by km73:
In relation to absolutely nothing, I just found an old thread called 'Relationships' in which SpaceCase refers to Leela and Fry as being "on an asymptotal trajectory." God that's great. I wish i would have thought of that.
I'm glad you liked it.  smile
Itís actually ďasymptotic
Quote
Originally posted by SonicPanther:
I, um... I have no idea what that means. *hangs head in shame*
I'm sorry.  frown

It seems that every time Fry & Leela get close, something always gets in the way - which stands to reason.
WHEN Fry & Leela finally forge a loving, comitted relationship, that ends a compelling plot-line for the show.
Many people would call that a "Jump-the-Shark" point.

Rather than launch into an explanation of asymptotes thatíll cure your insomnia, I refer you to my original posts.
If anyone cares, I said ďasymptotic trajectory,Ē here, and linked to an explanation of asymptotes, here.

[*Crickets chirp*]

[*Ahem*]

I, uh... Iím... Iíll just... ooze back out under the lab door now...  hmpf
km73

Space Pope
****
« Reply #497 on: 08-23-2007 13:55 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by SpaceCase:
 
Itís actually ďasymptotic

Oh crud!! I quote something, and I spell it wrong. Lord I'm an idiot. It was still cool, though.  big grin
coldangel

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #498 on: 08-23-2007 17:28 »

I don't know why they can't just be like every other non-comitted workplace 'couple' who are attracted to each other but restrained in that attraction, and just fuck each other every year after getting drunk at the office X-Mas party, and then pretend not to remember it afterwards.

...Because in the end, isn't that the most fulfilling relationship?
gwynhwyfar

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #499 on: 08-23-2007 17:39 »

Because then they'd be like every other retarded show on TV right now.
coldangel

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #500 on: 08-23-2007 17:56 »

No YOU would!
Sine Wave

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #501 on: 08-23-2007 18:18 »

Well, Fry isn't restrained in his attraction, only Leela is. Having a one night stand with someone who's dying to love you is a little, well, wrong, don't you think?
gaschief

Professor
*
« Reply #502 on: 08-23-2007 18:28 »
« Last Edit on: 08-23-2007 18:28 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by km73:
In relation to absolutely nothing, I just found an old thread called 'Relationships' in which SpaceCase refers to Leela and Fry as being "on an asymptotal trajectory." God that's great. I wish i would have thought of that.

This is an absolutely fabulous analogy for the Fry/ Leela situation. In fact I think it is the only way this type of plot can work, they have to appear to be getting closer all the time, but if they do 'BANG' the whole thing collapses, the magic is in the potential for something to happen, Never never in the happening...and if it must happen please DONT let it be a chance encounter in the Planet express office supplies cupboard, as gwynhwyfar said this would just make it like every other crappy soap opera, and a bit to close to the shitty gritty real life, that hopefully Futurama soars way above!



Gaschief AKA Karl Marx on acid!
coldangel

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #503 on: 08-23-2007 19:14 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Sine Wave:
Well, Fry isn't restrained in his attraction, only Leela is. Having a one night stand with someone who's dying to love you is a little, well, wrong, don't you think?

What is this 'wrong' you speak of?

With few morals to call my own, I'm probably the 'wrong' person to ask. Heh.

It would be fun though.
Xanfor

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #504 on: 08-23-2007 19:38 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Sine Wave:
Well, Fry isn't restrained in his attraction, only Leela is. Having a one night stand with someone who's dying to love you is a little, well, wrong, don't you think?

What about on Freedom Day?

 
Quote
Originally posted by coldangel_1:

...Because in the end, isn't that the most fulfilling relationship?

Boring, more like.

gwynhwyfar

Bending Unit
***
« Reply #505 on: 08-23-2007 19:45 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by coldangel_1:
No YOU would!

Right.
Professor Zoidy

Urban Legend
***
« Reply #506 on: 08-23-2007 20:01 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Sine Wave:
Well, Fry isn't restrained in his attraction, only Leela is. Having a one night stand with someone who's dying to love you is a little, well, wrong, don't you think?

Yes.... Everyone would like you to define this "wrong" you speak of...   smile
km73

Space Pope
****
« Reply #507 on: 08-23-2007 21:07 »

He means that it would be like Leela taking advantage of Fry! Isn't it nice that she doesn't just use him to satisfy herself once or something and then still tell him that she can't have a relationship with him?
Officer 1BDI

Starship Captain
****
« Reply #508 on: 08-23-2007 22:17 »

Didn't Coldangel write about that, actually?  Kind of?  Sorta...?
HipNoJoe
Bending Unit
***
« Reply #509 on: 08-23-2007 22:56 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by km73:
...Leela and Fry as being "on an asymptotal trajectory." God that's great...
I recall a professor explaining the difference between engineers and mathematicians using the same analogy. The mathematician never gets the girl because he never reaches infinity where the curves intersect.  The engineer on the other hand at some point says "close enough" and gets the girl. Hey ladies, he was old and his classes had been 95% male his whole career.

Anyway, Fry is an "engineer."  Is Leela a "mathematician?" To me, in Devil's Hands, Leela takes the engineer route.
km73

Space Pope
****
« Reply #510 on: 08-23-2007 22:58 »

Oh, wow. I hadn't seen that; I very rarely read fanfics. coldangel, that was beautiful. Interesting to have it be from Leela's point of view. I liked "extratemporal anachronism." I had seen some of your artwork before; i didn't know you wrote also.
coldangel

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #511 on: 08-24-2007 01:07 »

I write like it's going out of style, baby!  smile
I wrote a whole goddamn novel that no bastard will pick up for a publishing deal consarnit!
*grumble grouch*

Glad you liked that little short tale. I was bucking my own trend by writing from the female perspective there, but you have to challenge yourself if you truly wish to grow.
Decapodian

Liquid Emperor
**
« Reply #512 on: 08-24-2007 02:55 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by gwynhwyfar:




Bender: I'll miss you, Leela. [Leela is in a circus animal cage.] I know you're just a carbon-based life form but I'll always think of you as a big pile of titanium.

[He sobs. Fry puts his arm around him.]

Fry: What Bender means is, you're really brave, and smart, and beautiful, and a great friend.

Bender: (crying) Just like titanium!


And then Leela starts yellng at them which they deserve.


Twilight is quite possibly the worst popular book ever written.
bend_her

Professor
*
« Reply #513 on: 08-24-2007 07:36 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by HipNoJoe:
I recall a professor explaining the difference between engineers and mathematicians using the same analogy. The mathematician never gets the girl because he never reaches infinity where the curves intersect.  The engineer on the other hand at some point says "close enough" and gets the girl.

Engineers get girls?
[Zoidberg]
"What! When did this happen? You're kidding right? THAT'S NOT FUNNY!"
[/Zoidberg]

* dreams *
coldangel

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #514 on: 08-24-2007 08:01 »

I heard another joke about engineers... let's see if I can remember....


An engineering student was walking across campus when another engineer rides up on a shiny new motorcycle.

"Where did you get such a rockin' bike?" asked the first.

The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said "Take what you want."

The second engineer nodded approvingly "Good choice, the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."


Heh heh. True.

Xanfor

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #515 on: 08-24-2007 08:24 »

And old. How do you think I got my bike?

Now this:

A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer were all given a red rubber ball and told to find the volume. The mathematician carefully measured the diameter and evaluated a triple integral.  The physicist filled a beaker with water, put the ball in the water, and measured the total displacement. The engineer looked up the model and serial numbers in his red-rubber-ball table.

That's comedy!

coldangel

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #516 on: 08-24-2007 09:11 »

Instead of "Claus" he writes "Claws"! Now that's humorous. Today's comedians could learn from this card.
Xanfor

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #517 on: 08-24-2007 09:51 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Xanfor:
My dear shippers, once you hear Dolly Partonís original 1974 recording of 'I Will Always Love You', the song made popular and sucky on the Bodyguard soundtrack, you will truly, and possibly for the first time in your entire life, know what it means for things not to suck. And at that point, your entire universe will turn upside down. Everything that used to seem normal to you will suddenly seem right.

By the way, did anyone click that link? I love that song. Cried, first time I heard it. Long time ago, that was. Nice video to go with it, here. Slightly comedic, too.

Frisco17

DOOP Secretary
*
« Reply #518 on: 08-24-2007 12:07 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by SpaceCase:
It seems that every time Fry & Leela get close, something always gets in the way - which stands to reason.
WHEN Fry & Leela finally forge a loving, comitted relationship, that ends a compelling plot-line for the show.
Many people would call that a "Jump-the-Shark" point.

I always hate when people say that Fry and Leela getting togther would be "jumping the shark". Yes, it would end a major plot line but it would also create a new one. There could be just as many hilarious situations with them as a couple as when Fry is chasing after her.
Frida Waterfall

Professor
*
« Reply #519 on: 08-24-2007 17:41 »

 
Quote
Originally posted by Frisco17:
 I always hate when people say that Fry and Leela getting togther would be "jumping the shark". Yes, it would end a major plot line but it would also create a new one. There could be just as many hilarious situations with them as a couple as when Fry is chasing after her.

Their relationship isn't what attracts the audience for the "funny" part of the show. It's the dimensions to it that hook us "sensitives" to the show. If it wasn't for how complex the two were, I'd probably only be a casual viewer for the show. I not a big fan of sci-fi (but I haven't watched many sci-fis to begin with), and I'm sure there are other fans of their relationship who are like that too.

Fry and Leela's relationship is one of the fuels for the show, and it's probably the strongest. If a resolution to their relationship was made and the show continued with the two together, viewers like us wouldn't be so caught-up into their relationship. For example, look at Amy and Kif's relationship. There are so few shippers because their relationship is overshadowed by the much more passion-driven, emotional, and active relationship with Fry and Leela. We might fantasize on Fry and Leela getting married and having freak babies now, but if it actually happened (in a canonical way), we wouldn't be nearly as interested in their relationship.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20 Print 
 Topic locked! 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF | SMF © 2006, Simple Machines | some icons from famfamfam
Legal Notice & Disclaimer: "Futurama" TM and copyright FOX, its related entities and the Curiosity Company. All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited. As a fan site, this Futurama forum, its operators, and any content on the site relating to "Futurama" are not explicitely authorized by Fox or the Curiosity Company.
Page created in 0.261 seconds with 17 queries.